Winter Deck Maintenance Projects
Posted February 7, 2023 to Before You Buy: Tips, Advice, Checklists.
Winter may not seem like a great month to tackle outdoor projects, but when it comes to deck maintenance, it’s actually a great time to do it. Because winters aren’t too harsh in the Triangle, it’s still possible to do deck maintenance this time of year.
A few key projects you can do this winter on your deck from Sierra Structures are:
1. General repairs: Winter months have a tendency to turn small damage into major ones. Take care of any needed repairs to assure your deck is strong enough for winter. Replace or repair any damaged nails, screws, bolts, etc. Replace cracked boards. Inspect the entire deck to see where repairs are needed.
2. Pressure Wash: Pick a sunny day that allows you to clearly pressure wash your deck and remove any signs of dirt, mold, mildew, and other stains. The more you are able to keep your deck clean, the longer it will last.
3. Stain: After the pressure wash dries, it’s a great idea to re-stain your deck. This protects against damage from moisture and the sun.
4. Clean any debris away from around the posts: This includes leaves, grass, mud, and other vegetation. Doing so will go a long way to making sure those posts do not suffer rot damage near the ground’s surface.
5. Cut back any tree limbs near your deck: If you have any trees located near your deck, be sure to cut back any tree limbs that are hovering close. Trees hold moisture that can drop onto your deck. Also, strong storms can cause those limbs to break off and potentially cause damage.
Just by following these simple steps, you can keep your deck looking great and preserve its longevity. For more tips or to get a quote on repairs or a new deck, contact us at Sierra Structures.